Monday, December 8, 2008

not so feministic!!!!


I was at the grocery store yesterday with my darling Naomi clinging on me and looking around fascinated. I wonder what’s so fascinating in the grocery store anyways.maybe it’s the baby thing again.well,what took my attention was a new portion they had added on the store-the magazine section.wowie I was really excited with the idea that ill be able to read something again(ive cut short everything here thanks to my new budget!!)A simple magazine would surely mean no harm. Amidst the business magazines which were on a plenty my eyes fell upon femina. I haven’t read it in all my life!!


But alas I was fooled yet again (well I do not deny the fact that I am fooled often) but this was a little too much especially when I was practically experimenting my budget plan. I was fooled from the beginning. I lost my 40 rupees. And it was better to have brought an Archie’s or any other comic for that matter, atleast I wouldn’t sit down complaining!!!i was actually on the notion that there would be a lot of girly stuffs. But phew, leave girly stuffs the matter was simply scarce. I wonder what was going through the editor’s head. Just advertisements? And a whole lot of them. And when I say advertisements I shouldn’t miss
Saying that they are pointed to the upper class or rather the rich unlike for the ones like me who strive to keep the house running on a small budget for a month. Winter collections, spring collections, accessories blah blah blah and the list just goes on (this is not a fashion channel for gods sake!!)
Interestingly, the main article was that of the 50 most beautiful women in India. Well dear never did i caste my vote leave the fact that I haven’t even heard of its voting. Who selected them? People living in the elite sections of our society are always lucky and privileged to be described as beautiful. I believe there are more beautiful woman in India than any of those which has been put on in the magazine.

And the other articles, it was absolutely rubbish; they haven’t given justice to even recipes which was also put on just for the elite. Well don’t we exist at all. I think even when they are targeting profit a little importance should have been given to the middle class. for they take in for the majority. is it that they lack columnists? or is it because there is lack of talent or creativity? Well I think our country is overflowing with people having all of them together but luck!

There are so many things happening to a woman these days? Is famina showing the world is still full of optimists and only beauty? I think this is a little too much. This was almost like shutting the eyes and pretending that everything is going all normal. There is much more to a magazine it should at least make the reader think, imagine and influence, femina obviously lacked in everything. a magazine should be a voice for the under privileged a voice to express not just beauty but also agony and loss…especially at bad times like these.
Well at least I won’t be reading famina anymore. Readers digest is always my favourite, atleast there are lots of creamy contents. Maybe Tanya chitanya would read it up one day and put up an apology press conference…

1 comment:

Vaisakh P S said...

no comments about that...
although has a lot of "eye candy" in the latest editions :)